Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day One

After getting in from the airport around 2 in the afternoon we received our orientation by the director of the spring study abroad. I was put in room four (which takes a lot of stair climbing to get to) with 11 others girls. We have a bathroom on our floor with three showers but the catch is that the entire building has no hot water. The heater is broken and probably won't be fixed until next week. Needless to say I just finished to coldest shower of my life - but I guess that's all part of the experience. We were also given our kitchen duty assignments as well as some basic rules, and then we were let free until dinner.

After moving in a group of us did our first school assignment (yep! school) We did the first walk in our London Walk's book which just goes around the neighborhood we are staying in and explores the shopping and restaurants in our area. When we returned from the walk we joined the rest of our group for some turkey sandwiches for dinner, much needed after having only airport food for over 24 hours.

To keep from falling asleep at 5 in the afternoon, me and 5 others decided to take a ride on the tube to Buckingham Palace. After a short ride in the wrong direction, we were able to find our way and take some great touristy pictures. I know we are supposed to blend in but its kind - like really, how often do you see six teenage London girls going to Buckingham Palace on a Saturday night. Honestly.


See, I told you. Cheesy touristy picture at Buckingham Palace. The queen was in though!

So from the Palace we went one through St. James Park which was really nice, especially because today was so sunny. From there we found some cool looking buildings with some funny looking guards in front of them...so we took pictures of course. Unfortunately a lot of pictures from this excursion are on other people's cameras because we felt bad asking someone to take a picture for us with 6 different cameras...but they will be up here eventually.

Down the street from the funny looking guards (yeah we didn't really know where we were) we found the House of Parliament, which helped us orient ourselves. From there we watched some protesters for a while and headed back to the tube to get to Boots before it closed. We loaded up on blow dryers, flat irons and everything else we need to look presentable at church tomorrow.

It has been a long day - I haven't slept in 48 hours - but it has been totally worth it. I can't wait to continue exploring this city.

So I know pictures with no people in them are kinda lame but here are some of the London sights I saw today.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm gald you're there and already having fun! If you meet any ex-Pats at church tomorrow, keep an ear open for Brandon and Josie Lee...they're our friends from Cornell. Keep the posts and pictures coming. And don't worry about people not being in them. Sometimes peopleless pictures are the best!

Ryan & Jess said...

so fun! i am glad that you already have a blog post on day one. I feel better than we'll know how much fun your having :) miss you!